Pele reveals that he has had intestinal surgery.

Sports

Pele, the legendary Brazilian footballer, said he had surgery to remove a tumor in his colon, but said he is in good spirits in an Instagram post on his health.

The former Brazilian international, who is now 80 years old, is one of the game’s all-time greats, having won three World Cups with his country in 1958, 1962, and 1970.

Pele had been reported to have spent several days in hospital, and in a statement, he disclosed that he had surgery on Saturday and thanked everyone for their support during this difficult period.

My friends, thank you very much for the kind messages,” he wrote. “I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr. Fábio and Dr. Miguel to take care of my health.

“Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumour was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.

“Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories alongside you. I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends.”

Thank you for your thoughtful messages, my friends,” he wrote. “I thank God for making me feel so good and for entrusting my health to Dr. Fábio and Dr. Miguel.”

“I had surgery to remove a suspicious tumor in my right colon last Saturday. During the examinations mentioned last week, the tumor was discovered.

“Thank goodness, I’m used to sharing in your joy. I’ll go into this match with a grin on my face, a sense of optimism, and a sense of gratitude for being able to live my life surrounded by the affection of my family and friends.”