This year’s BECE, Shs schools placement will be out on….

This year’s school placement will be out on Sunday, February 21, says GES Director-General.

Placement will cover candidates, both school and private, who wrote the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in 2020. In all, about 525,000 qualified BECE candidates will be seeking placement into 721 senior high, technical, and vocational schools.

Prof. Opoku-Amankwa told the Daily Graphic that the GES had worked closely with the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) to release the results of the majority of candidates. He added that there were currently less than 100 candidates whose results had still been withheld.

kts

Prof. Opoku-Amankwa said the number of candidates who qualified to be placed was always far below the vacancies available. He said only about 100 schools, out of the 721 were usually oversubscribed. This year, candidates would be allowed some level of flexibility to effect changes on their own. The double-track system for school attendance should remain or be scrapped as advocated by a section of society, he said.

The GES was optimistic that with the new module, the system would work smoothly with this year’s new arrangement. The new module will allow candidates to change schools up to the enrolment deadline until they enroll in them, he added. The number of students who qualified for placement this year was at the lowest level since records began in 2007, according to the GES. The figure for placement was 721 out of 721, with only 100 schools being covered by enough candidates to fill all the vacancies.

The figures for placement for 2013-14 were 721 in total, with over 100 schools having more candidates than there were places for.
Prof. Opoku-Amankwa also explained that there had been no delay in the placement, as some people were speculating. He said the period of waiting after the results were released afforded the GES to engage with the WAEC to ensure that majority of candidates whose results were withheld had them released. On December 16, last year when WAEC released the results, 977 candidates had their subject results withheld, pending the outcome of investigations.


Scoop-Gh

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!